How to set up a blog that will make you money
Many people find the process to set up a blog that will make you money too complicated or even fear they don’t have enough experience with HTMLs, domains, name servers, web hosts, so they end up giving up before they even try.
Let me assure you with new Technology and so much information on the internet you don’t need to learn HTMLs or have technical skills of a programmer, computer or web design to set your blog. What you need is to follow this free step by step guide how to set up a blog from scratch.
- Choose what to blog about
Before you start a blog first, consider what you are going to blog. If you want to write a perfect blog, pick a topic that you are passionate about, something that you will enjoy writing.
Suppose that you are passionate about cooking start a cooking recipe blog.
- Choose Domain Name
Domain Name is the name of your blog. Domain name is crucial since it is the only connection between you and your audience so try to include your keywords in your domain name. Domain name should have following characteristics
- Attractive to your readers
- Easy to remember
- Should contain relevant keyword to your niche
- Not too long.
- Choose a blogging platform
There are two free blogging platforms WordPress.com and Blogger.com.
For newbie’s one of the best platforms to use is WordPress.com. It’s one of the biggest platforms in the whole world.
WordPress.com has great free themes that work perfectly for most niches and mostly used for advertising and affiliate marketing.
- Start a blog
Here are the links you can use to start your blog
- Choose your theme
Selecting a good theme gives your blog a professional look. A blog with good appearance leaves a good impression to your blog’s visitors. The best thing you can change your blog appearance to what you find best.
- Start posting
Start by writing fresh contents of your blog. Make sure you write blog posts which are awesome and friendly. Proofread and publish.
Note with free blogging platforms you don’t have control of your contents. You are not allowed to advertise making it hard to earn money.
So I will advise moving from a free blog to a self-hosted blog by buying and registering your domain name and hosting your blog.
With above step by step guide, you can start your free blog.
If you want to make money with your blog and have control of your content check the next part of how to create a self-hosted blog.
How to Create a Self Hosted Blog
- Register appropriate domain name
With a self-hosted blog, you will have to buy and register a domain name. Find an appropriate domain name. Register your domain name with services that are trusted, well known and reliable player.
Most popular domain names Namecheap, GoDaddy, Affilorama Domains
- Host your Blog
After your domain name is set you need to host your blog somewhere. Purchase hosting services from reputable host provider, which have excellent customer care support, reliable and offer quality hosting.
Reliable host provider Hostgator and Bluehost
- Install WordPress
Blogs are content. Content is something like articles, images, videos and other. I prefer WordPress as the best content management system. It’s the best in the world and easily manageable.
How to install WordPress
- Log into your web host panel. To access type yourdomainname.com/cpanel
- Go to control panel and search software and services select WordPress and install it
- Once done installing click finish
Once you are done installing WordPress choose the best theme and customize it the way you want.
- Add posts to your blog
To access you post area type yourdomainname.com/wp-admin and log in.
Write excellent posts and post regularly to get better ranking on Google and steady following. Make sure your posts are over 500 words anything below that may be ranked poorly by Google.
- Add Plugins
It’s time to add few plugins so that your blog functions efficiently.
I recommend the following plugins:
- WordPress SEO by Yoast- To make sure your blog is visible to search engines
- Jetpack by wordpress.com- It comes with collection of plugins like WordPress stats and WordPress mobile theme e.t.c
- Google XML Sitemaps- help creates valid sitemaps of your blog.
- Google Analytics for WordPress by Joost de Valk -Help Add Google Analytics to your blog
- GetSocial – Social networking buttons
- Driving Traffic
There are so many things you can do to drive traffic to your blog I’ll mention the most commonly used. You can feel free to do research for more
- High-quality content – To keep people on your site make sure you post quality content on your blog.
- Social media – Share your posts on social media like Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.
- Social bookmarking – Share your blog links to social bookmarking sites like Reddit, Delicious and dig. Feel free to search for more social bookmarking sites.
- Blog commenting – Search the best and big blogs in your niche. Note big blogs have a lot of traffic. Subscribe to those blogs via email to get their fresh content.
Just keep commenting on relevant blog posts. Include your website link in the URL field of the comment box.
- Forum – Join different forums that are related to your niche. Include the link to your content.
- Webmaster Tools Submission – Submit your website to Webmaster Tools like Google and Bing.
- Article Marketing – Submit articles to article directories such as EzineArticles and ArticlesBase. Include a link back to your site.
- The Web Directory Submission- Submit your website to web directories like Dmoz.org. Feel free to search for others.
- Email marketing – Use AWeber or MailChimp for email marketing
- Guest Blogging – Contact different website owner in your niche and request to write guest posts on their blog
- Monetize your blog
Think how to monetize your blog’s from day one. Here are the best ways to monetize your blog effectively
We do not cover the whole blog with articles there is a space left on the side, top and bottom. Use that as an advertising space to sell. There are different advertising networks you can use such as
- Google Adsense
- Chitika and many others
- Affiliate marketing
Affiliate marketing promoting a company, products or services and then you are paid in the form of commission. Good examples of affiliate marketing program include:
- CJ.com (Use Internet Explorer or Chrome to sign up in case it brings problems with Mozilla)
- Google Affiliate Network
Other companies have their affiliate programs. Such as
- Blue host
- Link worth
- Elegant themes
- Theme forest
- Blog services
You can use your blog to sell your skills. You can sell your writing skills, transcription skills, and logo creation techniques.
- Sell your product
You can sell your product through your blog. For example, if you are restaurants owner, musician, you can use your blog to showcase people what you are offering.
There you have it use those blogging tips to make your blog grow big. Share it with your friends so that they can benefit
Don’t forget to share you thought on how to set up a blog that will make money for you in the comment section