Gone are those days where placing your palm on the baby’s forehead or on the chest to determine if your child has a fever or not. Thanks to the technology there is reliable method to check your baby temperature and that’s where best baby thermometer comes in.
Comparison table of the Best baby thermometer
|Device name||Image||Thermometer type||Where to buy|
|Clinical non contact by OCCObaby||Infrared Forehead||Amazon|
|Medical infrared by Dr madre||Infrared Forehead||Amazon|
|Metene Digital||Infrared Forehead||Amazon|
|Braun Thermometer||Infrared Forehead||Amazon|
|Innovo||Infrared Forehead and Ear (dual mode)||Amazon|
|QQcute||Digital Infrared dual mode||Amazon|
|iProven dual mode||Digital Infrared dual mode||Amazon|
|Metene dual mode||Digital Infrared dual mode||Amazon|
|Generation guard dual mode||Digital Infrared dual mode||Amazon|
|Braun Digital Ear||Digital Infrared ear||Amazon|
|iProven Medical Ear||Digital Infrared ear||Amazon|
|Graco ear||Digital Infrared ear||Amazon|
|Vicks Behind Ear||Digital Infrared ear||Amazon|
|Prooral||Digital Oral & Underarm||Amazon|
|Enji prime||Digital Oral, Rectal, Armpit Underarm||Amazon|
|Iproven||Digital Oral and Rectal||Amazon|
|Vicks rectal||Digital rectal||Amazon|
|Safety 1st Gentle||Digital rectal||Amazon|
“Touch test method” is not the accurate or reliable way to tell if your child is running hot and sad thing babies don’t have a way to tell if they are sick or not.
Most pediatricians propose use of baby thermometer because the other method like touch test doesn’t give an accurate temperature. so this is a device every parent must have in the house.
Types of baby thermometer
There are only two types of thermometer which include:
- Infrared thermometer baby
- Digital thermometer baby
What is an Infrared thermometer baby
Infrared thermometer baby is also called touchless.
It has a color-coded screen with instant fever detection.
This type you can take the baby temperature even when the baby is sick.
What is a Digital thermometer baby
A digital thermometer has a probe on one end and LCD screen to show the result. They can be used to take the temperature on the mouth (oral), rectal (anus/rectum), ear, and underarm (armpit/axillary).
Here is the review of the best baby thermometer
We participate in affiliate programs from various companies mentioned in this post and earn a commission when you click from our site. It won’t charge an extra cost but you will get a small commission. Read the disclosure.
How to use baby thermometer
Baby thermometer is used in different ways. These ways include:
1. Rectal thermometer
2. Ear thermometer
3. Forehead thermometer
4. Oral thermometer
5. Armpit thermometer
6. Multiuse thermometer
7. Pacifier thermometer
8. Strip Thermometer
9. Wearable Thermometer
The ear thermometer is also called tympanic or aural. They are inserted into the ear canal.
It is Suitable for babies from 12 years.
How to use an Ear thermometer
Make sure the thermometer is clean, and the ear doesn’t have excess wax.
Insert the end of the thermometer into the ear, press the start button and wait for finishing alert.
How to take the temperature using the ear thermometer
Advantages of an ear thermometer
- Read the temperature fast
- Not uncomfortable with the baby
Disadvantages of an ear thermometer
- When you don’t position correctly can present incorrect results
- If the baby ear has too much wax can give an inaccurate result.
The forehead thermometer is also called temporal thermometer.
You just point at the baby forehead and take the temperature. It uses infrared technology and is no contact thermometer
It is Suitable for children above three months
How to use forehead thermometer
Point across the baby forehead between hairline and eyebrow
Switch on the thermometer
Move the thermometer straight across the baby forehead not down
Then wait until you will hear a beep sound when it has finished taking the temperature.
Advantages of forehead thermometer
- It safe since it is a non-contact thermometer, so the child will not get an infection
- You can take the baby temperature even when is asleep
- Give reading fast
- Easy to use
Disadvantages of forehead thermometer
- It can give an incorrect result if the room is too cold or hot. So when you bring it to a cold or hot room let it settle for a few minutes
It is used to measure the baby temperature in the different areas of the body – rectal, armpit and orally. Suitable for any age
Advantages of the multiuse thermometer
- Cheap and locally available
- When used rectally they give an accurate result
- Can be used to take a temperature in different regions – orally, rectally and under the arm
Disadvantages of the multiuse thermometer
- It can cause damage when used as a rectal thermometer since it can be inserted too far into the anus.
- It can spread germs if not used carefully and hygienically -if used by someone who is not clean can take the baby temperature rectally and use the same to check orally without cleaning.
They are made with a thermometer inside the pacifier. Used to measure temperature orally and suitable for young babies.
Disadvantages of a pacifier thermometer
Not recommended by most pediatrician since they give inaccurate results.
Cause choking to babies
Most of them don’t come with alert alarm to notify completion reading
Strip thermometer has a strip which is stuck to the baby skin to read the temperature. They are not recommended by the doctor because they take skin temperature and not body
The wearable Thermometer is the newest technology of thermometer, and they are informed of the bracelet.
They work together with phones or other electronic devices.
Once you know the temperature, you can send data using a phone or Wi-Fi to professional doctors or caregiver.
Summary table of different types of a thermometer and suitable age
|Thermometer||newborn(0-4months)||4months- 1 year||1-3 years||above 4 years|
How to clean baby thermometer (ear, arm, oral and rectal thermometer)
- Clean the sensor area of the thermometer using warm water and soap or rub using alcohol.
- Do not submerge the LCD in the water or boil or wash in a dishwasher
- Wipe dry with a soft cloth
- Lubricate the tip with water-soluble jelly and not petroleum jelly.
Related baby and mom products
- Baby safety products
- Best Hand Free Breastfeeding Products
- Best teething mitten
- Best baby bibs
- Best hands-free pumping bra
- Baby hooded towel
- burp cloths
- Best Baby activity centers
- Best Long range baby monitor
- Baby flat head pillow
- Organic toddler pillow
- Baby washcloths
- Baby sleep training books
- Free baby stuff
- Best travel crib
- Best toddler travel bed
- Drawing books for kids
- Best baby bath mat
- Best baby jumper
- Best sewing machine for the kid
- Baby bath thermometer
- Best infant car seat for small cars
- Best infant toys
- Best organic nursing pillow
- Best organic Pregnancy Pillow
- Best ring sling
- Best convertible car seat for small cars
- Best Baby pacifier for breastfed babies
- Best Orthodontic pacifier
- Best baby pacifier clip and holder
- Best pacifier with stuffed animals
- Best teething toys
- Best Baby toothpaste
- best Baby toothbrush
- Best Teething Bibs
- Nursing pillow
- Baby wrap carrier
- Babywearing coat and jacket
- Mimos pillow
- Best woven wrap
- Kangaroo hoodie
- Babywearing shirt
- Easter gifts for babies