- Comparison table for the Best pacifiers for breastfed babies
- Round shaped shield pacifiers
- Butterfly-shaped shield pacifier
- Natural Rubber Pacifier
- Best pacifier for newborn
- Pacifier with the stuffed animal
- Best pacifiers for breastfed babies with the thermometer
- Pacifier accessories
- Share this:
- Like this:
Babies who are used to breastfeeding they refuse to suckle pacifier that they don’t feel, look like breast nipple or has a breast nipple texture. Pacifiers for breastfed babies are made with such in mind.
Pacifiers for breastfed babies are made to help the baby who suffer from nipple confusion or they struggle to switch from dummy to breast nipple.
This pacifiers has a round nipple that imitate mom breast nipple or bottle feeding nipple.
Pacifier can be a lifesaver- If your baby is fussy even after feeding, cuddled, rocked, and when playing with her pacifier can help soothe such a baby.
Also, some babies still want to suck even after having her bottle full of formula or breast milk; pacifier can be of help.
Comparison table for the Best pacifiers for breastfed babies
|Name||Image||Material||shield shape||Where to buy|
|Philips Avent SCF190/01||Silicone||round shaped||Buy from Amazon|
|WubbaNub Pacifier||Silicone||round shaped||Buy from Amazon|
|The First Years GumDrop||Silicone||butterfly shape||Buy from Amazon|
|Joovy Silinoogie Pacifiers||silicone||butterfly shape||Buy from Amazon|
|Natursutten Pacifier||Natural Rubber||round shaped||Buy from Amazon|
|Nookums Pacifier||Silicone||round shaped||Buy from Amazon|
|Dr. Brown’s HappyPaci||Silicone||butterfly shape||Buy from Amazon|
The pacifiers for breastfed babies are not only for breastfeeding baby but any baby who is fed formula milk using a feeding bottle.
Before we provide with the review of best pacifiers for breastfed babies lets learn the necessary information you need to know before buying one.
What is a pacifier?
Pacifier is an artificial nipple that the baby can suck and mostly used to calm a fussy baby.
As the name suggests they calm or soothe your little one.
A pacifier is an American English name so it is also known as the dummy in British English and Australian English, binky or soother in Canadian English.
What to consider when buying the Pacifiers for breastfed babies
- Right size
Your baby mouth size determines the right pacifier size.
Some brands have the age sticker on them which inform the right age the pacifier is made.
Most are classified in age like below six months(0-6 months) which is small size, 6 to 18 months which is medium and over 18 months which is large size.
It is advisable to always check the right age on the manufacturers sticker.
- Material made for
Pacifier is made of materials such as rubber, plastic or silicone. Some babies can have allergies on some of these materials so make sure you buy the pacifier that is comfortable with your baby.
Silicone is considered the best for the first six months but once they start to teether, you can change to rubber.
The material should be BPA free.
Also, the material should be easy to clean.
- Pacifier clip
- Pacifier case
- How to clean a pacifier
- How to get baby take a pacifier
- Pacifier with a stuffed animal attached
- How to get rid of the pacifier
- Pacifier pro and cons
- What you need to know about pacifier
- Pacifier wipes
- The pacifier should have a shield
A shield is a part that prevents the baby from suckling the whole pacifier into her mouth.
It has to be large enough about 1.5inches or bigger to avoid a choking hazard.
The shield shape is either a butterfly or round shape.
Butterfly style is a unique contoured shape constructed such that it fits baby’s face while staying clear off baby’s nose.
Also the butterfly shape curves away from baby’s face providing ample space for little nose and cheeks.
Round shape- is the circular style that gently touches the nose, more closely simulating breastfeeding.
- Types of pacifiers
There are different types of pacifiers in the market. These include:
Round shape nipple
The same as feeding bottle They imitate breast nipple and are suggested for the best pacifiers for breastfeed babies.
The round shape pacifier help the baby who suffer from nipple confusion or they struggle to switch from dummy to breast nipple.
This type has nipple flattened at the bottom and rounded top. Orthodontic pacifier help reduce pressure on developing teeth. They are best teething pacifiers.
Orthodontic pacifier are introduced when the baby has full established good breastfeeding habits.
Here is the review of the best Pacifiers for breastfed babies
We participate in affiliate programs from various companies mentioned in this post and earn a commission when you click from our site. It won’t charge an extra cost but you will get a small commission. Read the disclosure.
Advantages of baby pacifier
- The pacifier helps calm a fussy baby.
- Pacifier help baby fall asleep quickly
- It can be used to soothe during the teething period. Source
- Babies who use a pacifier during bed or naptime reduce the risk of sudden infant death (SIDs).
- If your child sucks the thumb and you want her to stop you can use a pacifier. Also, it helps if you’re going to keep the child from developing the habit of suckling the fingers.
Disadvantages of pacifier
- If you use a pacifier after her second birthday may result in dental implication.
The front top and bottom teeth become misaligned.
- Pacifier can cause the spread of germs to your baby.
For instance, when the pacifier falls from the baby mouth to the dirty ground and the baby pick it and return to the mouth it can spread germs to the baby.
Also, when you are on the go and pacifier fall on the dirty ground most moms wipe it using the saliva and return it to the child’s mouth.
If you are sick, you have high chances to spread bacteria to your child. Source.
To avoid your baby to fall on the ground you can buy pacifier clip to hold your baby binky.
In case the pacifier fall on the ground you can wipe with pacifier wipes, burp cloths, or bib and pop it back to the baby mouth.
- Getting off the habit becomes hard
Most parents use the pacifier to soothe the baby but stopping the habit becomes hard. It can take more months to break the habit.
- Using pacifier for too long may cause an ear infection. Find more details here.
- Early introduction of a pacifier can result in poor breastfeeding,
Tips you should know before introducing a pacifier to your child
- Do not introduce pacifier if your baby is having a problem such as gaining weight or poor breastfeeding.
- Do not introduce pacifier before your child has established breastfeeding routine or your milk supply is well established.
- Wait for about 4-6 weeks before you introduce a pacifier,
- Make sure the pacifier is always clean. Wash them regularly you can use the dishwasher and then sterilize. You can put them in boiling water for sterilization.
- Do not give your baby pacifier when hungry.
- If your baby does not like pacifier do not force it
- If the pacifier fall off when sleeping do not force is back again.
- Choose one piece construction pacifier but not multiple piece pacifier. The one piece is made of single piece of material which is hard for part to tear therefore reduces risk of choking.
- Multiple piece pacifier consists different parts (shield, nipple and ring) each part is manufactured and combined separately . The part can easily come apart causing choking hazard.
- Do not coat the pacifier using sugar substance so as your baby may get used to it or forcing your baby to use. Using sugar substances may lead to cavities.
- Do not use a pacifier as food replacement or tool to delay feeding time.
- Do not tie pacifier on the baby crib or stroller the baby might strangle using the cord or ribbon but you can use pacifier clip with short ribbons/straps/string to hold the soother.
- Do not use pacifier for longer time. Limit the time your baby use pacifier and always find other ways to soothe your baby.
- Most expert advice to get rid of the pacifier once the baby reach 12 months.
pacifiers for breastfed babies frequently asked questions
How do you know your baby needs a pacifier?
Babies are not able to communicate what they want we are left guessing according to their behaviors.
The same case to pacifier you check the behaviors of your baby
You can know your baby need a pacifier with behaviors like
- Your baby will continue sucking the breast without the intent of drawing milk,
- Suckling empty feeding bottle
- Suckling toys or fingers.
If your baby spits out the pacifier and continues to be fussy, she might be hungry or is suffering from something.
What is the right age to introduce a pacifier
According to a specialist you are supposed to introduce pacifier after four weeks or when your baby is breastfeeding well, and mom milk supply is well established.
This time is around four weeks to most babies.
When is the right age to stop using a pacifier?
Prolonged use of a pacifier can affect your child health.
It is recommended to stop using pacifier from one year to around two years old.
When should you replace the pacifier
Most parents are fond of not replacing baby products, but when it comes to the pacifier, it can pose a safety risk.
You need to replace the pacifier when
- The nipple is torn.
- If there is a broken part
- When the pacifier is discolored
- Nipple sticks together when pressed and start peeling
- Replace the pacifier after every 6 to 8 weeks of use
Are pacifier safe on babies
Pacifier are safe for babies they offer benefits such as help prevent Sudden infant death, help soothe your fussy baby and more.
Is it safe for babies to sleep with pacifier in their mouth
Yes it is safe for babies to sleep with pacifier in their mouth.
In case it falls off the baby mouth you should not pop it back.
Can pacifier choke the baby
One of the things you should check before buying baby pacifier its whether it has a shield.
A Pacifier should have a shield which is 1.5 inches or bigger to avoid a choking hazard.
The shield prevent the baby from suckling the whole pacifier.
Also, choose pacifier made of one piece construction and not multiple piece construction.
Multiple piece construction each part is combined and manufactured separately which is easy to come apart and cause choking hazard.
One piece construction pacifier is made of single material which is hard to come apart.
Rounded nipple or orthodontic pacifier which is the best
Rounded nipple pacifier is for Babies who are used to breastfeeding they refuse to suckle pacifier that they don’t feel, look like breast nipple or has a breast nipple texture.
Orthodontic pacifier can be introduced after the baby get used to pacifier . They are best used when your baby start teething therefore help reduce pressure on developing teeth
Are pacifiers bad on baby tooth
Pacifiers are bad on baby tooth if used for longer time.
That’s why expert advise parents to get rid of pacifier once the baby is age one to two years to help prevent tooth misalignment.
Also, Orthodontic pacifier will not interfere with jaw development and reduces pressure on developing teeth.
Bonus Video for pacifier safety and hygiene
Pacifier is a great way to soothe your baby.
Hoping our review of the best pacifiers for breastfed babies will help find the right binky for your baby.
Liked this post? pin it!
More baby and mom products
- Baby safety products
- Best Hand Free Breastfeeding Products
- Best teething mitten
- Best baby bibs
- Best hands-free pumping bra
- Baby hooded towel
- burp cloths
- Best Baby activity centers
- Best Long range baby monitor
- Baby flat head pillow
- Organic toddler pillow
- Baby washcloths
- Baby sleep training books
- Free baby stuff
- Best travel crib
- Best toddler travel bed
- Drawing books for kids
- Best baby bath mat
- Best baby jumper
- Best sewing machine for the kid
- Baby bath thermometer
- Best infant car seat for small cars
- Best infant toys
- Best organic nursing pillow
- Best organic Pregnancy Pillow
- Best ring sling
- Best convertible car seat for small cars
- Best teething toys
- Best Baby toothpaste
- best Baby toothbrush
- Best Teething Bibs
- Nursing pillow
- Baby wrap carrier
- Babywearing coat and jacket
- Mimos pillow
- Best woven wrap
- Kangaroo hoodie
- Babywearing shirt
- Best baby thermometer